The Danville Farm Defense Fire District began as a volunteer brigade in 1912. In 1921 a state law allowed establishment of special fire districts, with authority to levy taxes. In 1923 a lot was purchased for a firehouse. In 1925 it was sold and a new lot purchased, all three transactions at the same price! This became the site for the first firehouse, at present day 356 Hartz Ave. – the building is still intact.