The building cornerstone was laid on October 9, 1859. The school opened in 1860 and offered high school through early college level courses. The building was destroyed by fire in 1868 and was never rebuilt. The original wooden marker was damaged. A new wooden marker was built by Alex Nicholson, a member of Boy Scout Troop 1776, as his eagle scout project. It is located in front of the original Academy site, across the street from the Methodist Church at 902 Danville Boulevard, Alamo.